It's never too late to begin the healing process from childhood sexual abuse. It's never too early to fall in love with the person God created you to be. Long ago someone made a choice to take away your innocence, but today that someone can't touch your freedom to heal.

Friday, September 9, 2011

The Lies Survivors Believe – The Significance Game

Another survivor speaks:

“When I finally realized that what I had been trying so hard to keep hidden under the rug was actually sexual abuse, my first instinct was to tell myself that what happened to me wasn't really a big deal—that there were other people who had been abused much worse then I was. I tried to justify that what happened to me, shouldn't matter as much as it did. I even found myself saying "it really wasn't that bad" or "there isn't a lot to tell". Almost feeling like, in the scope of life, my measly little abuse moments weren’t horrendous enough to matter. My point is: abuse affects everyone differently. If your childhood sexual abuse, no matter how minimal it seems, effects how you operate in the world, then it matters.

I don't feel that way anymore, but I'm sure there are a lot of people who have been abused who play that "significance" game.”



I know women who have had one encounter with sexual abuse. I know women who were violated multiple times. All of these women’s lives have been affected.

It’s the consequence of sexual abuse. It’s the power of unwarranted shame.



Image'>http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=5">Image: Andy Newson / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...