It's never too late to begin the healing process from childhood sexual abuse. It's never too early to fall in love with the person God created you to be. Long ago someone made a choice to take away your innocence, but today that someone can't touch your freedom to heal.

Friday, November 18, 2011

She Told: A Story of Thanksgiving

Marie waited until the rest of the women walked to the other end of the room. We were alone.

“I told him,” she said.

My eyes engaged hers. “You told him?” I asked, attempting to subdue the surprise in my voice.

“Yeah.”

“Everything?”

“Yes . . . everything.”

Marie had kept her secret locked up for years. When she had finally found the courage to tell someone she loved, she had received a response that only deepened her shame. I was afraid she would never tell again. I wouldn’t have blamed her if she hadn’t.

But now, just weeks before her wedding, just weeks before she would pledge to become one with another, she told. Her secret was out. She had found the courage to voice her secret again.

“How did he respond?” I asked.

Her eyes sparkled. “He was wonderful.”

I pulled her close, my voice, a whisper through my tears, “What a way to begin a marriage.”

                                                            *****

I attended her wedding, and as I have observed their lives as husband and wife through the years, I am reminded: To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven. (Ecclesiastes 3:1, KJV)

She chose to tear down the secret, to build intimacy within their marriage,
She chose to weep before her beloved, so they could laugh,
They chose to mourn her past together, so they could dance,
And oh . . . how they danced!



Have a blessed Thanksgiving,
Carolyn




Image'>http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=2125">Image: photostock / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...