It's never too late to begin the healing process from childhood sexual abuse. It's never too early to fall in love with the person God created you to be. Long ago someone made a choice to take away your innocence, but today that someone can't touch your freedom to heal.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Baby Steps

She needed redemption unlike anyone I'd ever known. We sat a small round table, she on one side, me on the other. I was allowed to hold her hand, but when I moved closer to sooth her tears, the loud speaker jolted me back, "Mam, get back in your seat." I had forgotten the rules. I had forgotten where I was...

Driving to the prison that day my mind swirled. I had many things I wanted to say...none of which were kind. "What were you thinking? You've lost everything! How could you hurt your family like this? Drugs...you were selling drugs... in my neighborhood." And the litany of questions and accusations went on and on. I knew I needed help.

Lord, there are so many things I want to say, but I know my words are not the words she needs to hear. Help me.

And somewhere between my driveway and the razor wire, the waiting room and the metal detector, the tedious walk through tightly monitored steal doors and the little round table at which we sat, the Lord stripped my mind down. All I could do was listen.

And I gained the privilege of walking beside her as she took her first steps toward redemption.



Walking beside someone on their road to redemption is, humanly speaking, a futile task. It takes patience and wisdom beyond our abilities. Honest prayer is the first place to start.
And the impossible becomes miraculous.

3 comments:

  1. GREAT!!!! What an encouragement! Can't wait to hear about more "steps".
    Zig

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first steps are the hardest but that's what make the impossible,possible.

    Great post! I think I sat cross from at the Writer's Conference. We spoke about aging elbows. :)

    In His Grace,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment, Tammy. And yes, I do remember the elbow conversation. Do you think there's such a thing as elbow lifts? :) Nah, I've got better things to spend my $ on.

    And I agree, the first steps are the hardest...it's when God takes me out of the equation...it's usually a painful process for me, but once there is less of me and more of Him, I am so free. And oh how I love being free!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...